What Kind Of Information Should Be Available To Parents/Carers
From Their Child's School?
Pupil Reports Schools have to send a written report at least once a year to parents/carers of children of compulsory school age (5-16). The report should explain progress, the pupil's strengths and weaknesses. The school report should not be used to raise serious issues with parents/carers for the first time about this child's progress.
Feedback at parents/carers' Evenings/ Consultations parents/carers' evenings/consultations provide an opportunity to look at your child's work and to discuss progress with the teacher(s). However, you may be limited to a 5 or 10 minute session with the teacher and if you have a lot to discuss you might find it helpful to:
Write to the teacher before the meeting to let them know the issues you want to raise, or
Ask for an alternative appointment to allow more time for discussion
Individual Education Plan (IEP) Pupils with special educational needs (SEN) who require additional support from the school should have an IEP. This is sometimes called an action plan because it should describe:
What the child's special needs are
How the school aims to meet those needs and the type of help that is to be provided
How the school will measure success and how often the IEP will be reviewed
  It is considered good practice for parents/carers to be consulted about the IEP and for the IEP to contain information about what parents/carers will be doing at home to reinforce what is happening at school. Many schools will also invite parents/carers to attend the IEP review.
Home School Agreements All schools must have a Home-School Agreement which explains the aims and values of the school and spells out the responsibilities of pupils, parents/carers and the school on such things as:
Maintaining discipline and positive behaviour
Regular attendance
Maintaining a positive and happy learning environment
The school's commitment to its pupils
What is expected of parents/carers and pupils
Newsletters Most school's send regular newsletters to parents/carers giving information about school life - for example events and activities, school in service closures (INSET), staff changes, etc.
Prospectus New or prospective parents/carers will usually be given a prospectus by the school. The prospectus should contain useful information about the school - for example, which subjects are studied, the length of the school day, details of the school uniform, out of school activities, health matters, etc.
Policies Schools must have written policy statements on matters relating to the effective running of the school. These policies should be made available to parents/carers on request. Examples of polices include those for special educational needs, (SEN), anti-bullying and behaviour, home-school contact, homework, etc.
Governors' Reports The governing body of the school must provide an annual report to parents/carers on aspects of the management of the school and its resources. For example the governors should report on the school's special educational needs (SEN) policy and how the budget for SEN is spent.
Complaints Procedure If any parent wishes to make a complaint against the school they should ask the school for a copy of their complaints procedure.